New Year 2014 is here and with it, just as each new year does, comes the new year resolution list.
The history of the new year resolution can be traced back thousands of years to the ancient Babylonians who were understood to make promises to their God’s to do many good and worthwhile things at the start of each year and the Romans did the same. Over the years and across the continents many traditions and rituals have occurred during the New Year celebrations. For example:
Some believe that making noise wards off evil spirits:
- The people of Thailand would fire guns to frighten off demons
- The Chinese would light firecrackers to keep the forces of darkness away
- The early American colonists would sound off pistols
Others believe that certain foods bring good luck:
- The Dutch believe that ring-shaped foods like a donut or onion ring symbolize life coming full circle which leads to good fortune
- The Indians eat rice which they believe promises prosperity
- The Swiss believe that dollops of whipped cream symbolize a rich year forthcoming
Some countries once celebrated the incoming new year with a gift exchange:
- Nuts and coins were swapped in Rome
- Eggs were traded in Persia
- Flasks were exchanged in Egypt
New Years folklore has also been passed down through the ages, some of which you still see at any celebration event that you may attend:
- On New Year’s Eve, kiss the person you hope to keep kissing
- If the New Year’s Eve wind blows south, it foreshadows warmth and growth
- If the old year goes out like a lion, the new year comes in like a lamb
There are many traditions and stories that have been handed down from one generation to the next.
The resolutions you will find at FBinsure are those that extend the very nature of what makes us successful versus things that need to be changed. Over the last year we have grown as a company, expanded our team with new offices and talented people who all believe in our mission. We maintain customers from year to year because we do things right and will continue to do so for many years to come without exception.
We polled members of our team about what they think that we as a company believe and this is what we found:
“We believe the alignment of our business goals with those of our clients allow us to proactively anticipate their needs, solve problems before they happen, and consistently exceed expectations” -Tom, SVP Sales and Risk Management
“We believe in giving our clients the best coverage for the best value” -Carol, Branch Manager Dighton
“We believe that insurance is not about price, it’s about protection.” -John, Branch Manager Taunton
“We believe that customer satisfaction is the key to our success.” -Tracy, Commercial Lines Manager, Attleboro
“We believe that you have been taught to purchase insurance incorrectly” -Joe, Producer
“We believe in protecting you the customer and your assets. The best price is not always the best protection” -Barbara, Account Manager, Church Green
“We believe in educating our clients about their insurance product, so that they have a better understanding of what they are purchasing” -Matt, Branch Manager, Middleboro
“We believe that our job as agents is to advocate for our clients. . We have no control over what an insurance company is going to charge for rate. We can however guide our clients through the insurance maze , educate them on what they are buying why they are buying it and hold their hand through what often times can be a scary claim process. “ -Judi, Producer
No matter where you are from or what tradition you celebrate as the new year begins, you will always find that at FBinsure we won’t be changing a thing!