If you are an Intrastate motor carrier, there is a change coming your way that you should be aware of. As of September 1, 2018, you will now be required to obtain and display a USDOT Number per 540 CMR 2.22 of the Commercial Marketing section of the Registry of Motor Vehicles regulations. This number must be PERMANENTLY marked on every CMV vehicle operated by your company. Here are the guidelines to help you determine if this new rule effects your company.
You are required by September 1, 2018 to obtain a corporate USDOT Number if:
- You are engaged in intrastate commerce for your company and drive a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds: OR
- Your corporate vehicle is used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding; OR
- Your corporate vehicle is designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, used in intrastate commerce in Massachusetts
Only one number is needed per company even if you have several office locations. The registration should be done by an officer at your Headquarters location.
- If you don’t currently have a USDOT Number you can obtain one at https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov.
- If you need to UPDATE an existing Intrastate or Interstate DOT Number you can do so at https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/updating-your-registration.
- If you need to RE-activate your DOT Number you should do so here: https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/108/kw/reactivate.
If you have additional questions, you should go to https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov or contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles prior to September 1, 2018.